Monday, June 3, 2013

Bowling: Compare and Contrast

Now that school is over for the year for pretty much everyone, I want to recount some of the observations I've made during my practice sessions at my local bowling center.  Not about my bowling, but there are two habitual groups of bowlers that come at approximately the same time as I do, and things I've observed about them.  Now due to my work schedule, I actually practice during the week in the mornings, and this year there wasn't a league on Friday mornings to join, or compete with.  Between my own shots in practice, I sit down to emulate what happens in league as far as pacing myself, and one thing I like to do is peoplewatch - see who is bowling and how they're bowling.   It allows me to slow down my pace, so that I don't just stand there and fire down shots one after the other, plus it's entertaining and informative.  The first group that I'm around is moderate sized group of Special Olympians, and I'd say there are about 20-25 of them who are regulars at the alley.  The second group is a group of high school students, and I'd say there are 60-80 of them that show up.  Both groups are about the same age range, perhaps with  the Special Olympians being a bit older (average age somewhere between 17 and 21 if I had to guess)

What I observed is that, of the two, I'd rather be in league with the Special Olympians.

When I see families come to bowl, everyone over the age of 5 that I've observed gives an honest effort when bowling.  There may be (usually is) some socializing, and good natured ribbing, sometimes turning into a game of one-upsmanship.  Sometimes shots aren't a pretty sight - sometimes they're fantastic, and the verbal feedback from their family can be interesting, but ultimately they actually try and have a good time.

When I watch the Special Olympians bowl, they give more than an honest effort.  Even though the actual shot may not be pretty from any classical viewpoint, or even successful by a scoring aspect, their feedback on each shot is invariably positive - and they really do cultivate a sense of team and enjoyment of the game.  They all celebrate the strikes and spares, and give reassurance if there is an occasional gutterball.  Yes it does take more creativity and understanding to work successfully with that level of player, but when I've been bowling beside of them, I couldn't help but get caught up in their enthusiasm.  Eventually I found myself cheering with them, and consoling when it was needed as well - getting invested in them was easy because they were invested in their friends involvement in the game.

When the High School students come in, it's a much more different story.  In my observations there are (I'll say) four levels of students.  1.  I like to bowl, and take it seriously.  2. I like to bowl, but not seriously at all.  3. I'm going to go thru the motions and get this over with because I have to.  4.  I'm in line at the snack bar, and after I (and my clique) get our drinks/food/whatever, we're going to sit in the snack bar area -- let us know when we're getting ready to leave.  Fortunately, it appears that each group either clumps up together so that the flow is the way they want it - - the serious players all get on the same teams, the not so serious players get on the same teams, and so on.  I often wondered if the teacher would object to my setting up a table and using volunteers as a survey/focus group about various bowling related issues - but I'd rather not put them in that position.  But the atmosphere with the High Schoolers was very different, very cutting - not very positive or reinforcing at all.  Even those who were taking their bowling seriously, males and females, there was a lot of trash talking in their competition, and it was worse with the other groups.  With those who resented being there - it was near constant to see who could bellyache the most about their disgust about having to participate.

Now, I'm not the most athletically gifted person, nor was I in high school.  But I did try to not embarass myself with most sports.  American football, I learned how to throw and catch, and although not fleet of feet - I can get some distance behind me when needed.  When softball season came up, I learned how to hit the ball somewhat well.  Basketball season - I could shoot foul shots and from the 3 point line, and pass the ball somewhat well.  Moving with the ball wasn't in the cards, but I tried to do well.  The operative word though is that I tried - I acknowledged that I wasn't going to excel in traditional sports, but I did what I could do to improve my abilities in them.   But no matter how much I wanted or didn't want to participate in a sport or activity, I can't remember resenting the activity itself, or blasting everyone else if I excelled at it versus bellyaching to ruin it for others if I didn't like it.  I have to wonder:  Is this philosophy lost in the current high school generation?  I doubt it and really hope that it isn't, but I suspect sportsmanship and/or maturity may be in the minority.

I realize that my pool of data sources is quite slim, and I'm going to (hopefully) refrain from making sweeping generalities based on my observations of 2 groups.  What I will say is that although with the High Schoolers I might find more competition - I would (and do) have more fun bowling near and with those who are far more positive about their experience.  (Which is probably a far better message for existing bowlers to embrace, but those thoughts are for another time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment