Thursday, September 19, 2013

So what are you studying?



Many times I've heard the phrase "if you're not learning, you're not growing", or some variation thereof.  There are dozens of one liners that apply here, but one liners lack one fundamental element -- direction.  I can read the Wonderwall blog and fulfill the criteria for "Leaders are Readers", but only if I'm trying to lead in an extremely narrow field.

So then, if we were to expand on the one liners, how about "Diverse Leaders consistently do Diverse Reading."  What have you read to move the horizon a bit further away?  What new thoughts, opinions, or viewpoints have you gotten recently due to reading?  How many genres do you follow?  Do they tie in with your current interests, your current career, your future career?

Who I'm reading this month, in no particular order:

Tim Dorsey
Glen Cook
David Drake
Robert Asprin
Steven Brust
Richard Feynman
Ken Robinson
Seth Godin
Paul Grahm
Ryan Holiday
James Altucher
Bernadette Jiwa
Dean Hinitz
Mark Baker
Richard N. Bolles
Tom Rath
Henry Rollins

Many of these are re-reads for me, some are things that I'm reading for the first time.  All of them touch on a facet of my life that I'm either interested in, or interested in improving.  How about once a day, or even four times a week, opening up and reading a book or e-book that makes you think, makes you ponder something new and fresh?

No comments:

Post a Comment