Sunday, August 17, 2014

Friday Morning Practice - a Narrative

It's Friday, practice day.  Since my work schedule precluded bowling in any leagues this past Spring and Summer, Friday mornings have been my main bowling outlet.  However, I still wanted to keep up my learning and training in the sport in order to keep improving my consistency.  So I have developed a routine that has been helping me with my one day a week practice, just in case my schedule changes enough that I can get into a league again.  If nothing else, I can potentially keep from embarrassing myself in the few tournaments I enter.
Friday mornings begin the same way, 6am wakeup and do all the necessary activities that go along with waking up and getting dressed.  I read for a while, write for a while, then 30 minutes of stretching and yoga to work on core strength and balance.  Since I started my breakfast just before stretching and yoga, by the time I finish my warmups, my breakfast of oatmeal and meat is ready, which isn't quite a slow carb breakfast, but it gives me long term energy instead of a short term flare and burnout.
Next it's a trip to the ball rack to decide which balls I'm taking today for practice.  This is where I first really start getting into the bowling mindset, walking to the rack and looking at my collection, remembering the good games and not so good games I've bowled with each of them.  For practice I pick three and my spare - a early breakpoint , a midlane breakpoint, and a late breakpoint ball.  All three have been cleaned immediately after use, and usually once every 30-50 games they also get a deep cleaning and a trip on the spinner to refresh the cover to where I like it.  After I make my decision and move those balls to my rolling bag, next I focus on my bag kit to make sure I'm not low on the essentials - thumb tape, cleaner, super glue, a clean towel, spare inserts.  Normally when I come back I replace things right then, but it's better to double check before leaving than to need and not have.
By now it's between 8am and 8:15, and the lanes open for business at 9.  Since it's August, and today's humidity is going to be around 70-75%, I know the lanes will play slicker, even on the remains of last night's open bowling.  Today's session will begin with two point targeting, then a couple of games of lowball, then the new element -- parallel gutter drills which will help me actually see the results of my swing plane, whether I'm grabbing, pulling, or off center in any way.  Thanks to my old pleather beanbag, I do my release drills at home, 20 minutes a night to really isolate each and every action from the wrist to the fingertips during release.  But slow motion practice with isolation is one thing, today's the day when that all get's sped up into real time.
If John's there today, he'll do the day's stripping and reoiling at about 9:30-9:45, which gives me enough time to get through two of my practice elements before the 10 minute break while he reoils my lane.  Afterwards, with fresh oil and limited hold, I can practice that final element without the free friction that comes from having beat up lanes.  But if it's Vince doing the oiling today, he won't do it until 10 - which still might work because that will give me time to not feel like I'm rushing my practice.
8:45, and I'm loading up the car with my bag.  The lanes are only three miles away, so there's no rush.  I've already prepped my thumb with both thumb tape and liquid bandage, and I'm feeling excited, but not anxious or stressed.  9:00 am and I'm unloading my bag from the trunk, and walk in to say hi to everyone.  Since Cindy's not actually on the phone, I get a quick hug and my lane assignments.  After I get everything unpacked, the balls on the return, shoes on, and my towel and rosin bag on the console, I go ahead and go to the snackbar to get a large water so I can stay hydrated during practice -- the Air Conditioner will have it's work cut out for it today, and since I sweat standing still above 70 degrees, I want to make sure my judgement isn't clouded by any lack of hydration.  After dropping the water off at my table, and a brief last bit of stretching, it's time.  The first ball I throw will be at quarter speed just to get myself in the swing of things (no pun intended), and there's no attempt to get 'lined up' at all.  Strikes for the first hour happen by chance, not by intent.  I'll throw the first game as a true warmup, two frames over each arrow, then starting game 2 will be the true practice.  I've already made my decisions about the three elements I'm working today, and after those have gotten their 15 minutes of focus, with a sitdown break in between to notate how the practice went so I can review and process away from the lanes, finally my last two games will be "for score", and for just enjoying the game.
After bowling's done, I go ahead and clean each ball right there at the lanes with my spray bottle and towel before packing up.  Usually I go back to the snack bar and have them refill my cup with tea, because by that point I need the water and the sugar to boost my energy levels.  Then I visit with my people who are there, because the Friday morning bowlers are a pretty consistent crew, and we get to know each other in between shots.  If Cindy's off the phone, which can be a feat in and of itself, I'll pay for my games while getting to hear how Andy's doing, and just maybe Ron will come in and I'll get a few minutes to discuss with him things I may have uncovered in practice and get his input.  Then back home to put the equipment away, making sure if any of the balls need a touch up with the spinner or a deep cleaning to go ahead and do that.  Finally I review my notes from the practice to see if there is anything else I need to elaborate on or dissect further, perhaps push out further into the next practice session.  Then it's lunch, two Alleve, and on with the day.

Do I see myself as wanting to be a Professional Bowler someday?  Not at all, I have only a handful of 600 series to my name, and none of those were threatening to be 700's.  But what I do expect from myself is the ability to be consistent across any/all lane conditions, from the fresh to the beat up, and as I practice well, and cover all aspects of the game that I can personally affect, then those 600's will start showing up, and potentially the 700's.  But more importantly I'll be able to match up on any condition - and therefore the enjoyment of my game will continue to grow, because no matter if the lane condition is a cakewalk or a minefield, I'll be able to handle it, because I'm prepared for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment